Wednesday 26 April 2023

Northward Ho!...Off To Scrub Stitchin’…

*Warning...long and photo heavy...
Excitement built and finally the day arrived...Easter Monday…time to leave for Scrub Stitchin’ in Baradine! Wahoo!!! I had booked two overnight stops, allowing for a bit of ducking and weaving along the way for painted silo/water tower chasing…of all the days to sleep in I woke up about the time I wanted to leave...not that there was a deadline but I just felt like I was two hours behind all day which made me a bit anxious about getting to that night's stop, Lake Cargelligo, so I modified the plan as I went and skipped some silos and street art for another day...
 
Finally I set off, via the North East Victoria Silo Trail...starting with Goorambat. Approaching from Benalla the first thing that appears is an owl on a shed with silo behind...
There are two separate themes on the silos…an Australian Barking (aka Winking) Owl and Iron Bark tree hollow scene which is important for the Barking Owl…

And Clydesdales...which were important to the Goorambat farming community...
Onwards to Devenish…where it’s all about honouring the community members who enlisted in WWI and the role of nurses/female medics in service and evolution of the role from WWI to now...

Included is a metal sculpture of Sally, an explosive detection dog who served in Afghanistan… 
Paintings not only on the silos...also the public toilet block…
 
and on the side road a mural of the train station…
Next up was St James…where G.J. Coles began…well hasn’t that business grown!!
The original store building is still there but I didn’t realise until I was driving out…
 
Last stop in Victoria before crossing the river was Tungamah…the first silos painted in North East Victoria...they are all about local bird life...
I crossed the river (Murray River into New South Wales) at Cobram and stopped next at Coleambally...their water tower isn't painted but rather a mosaic of scenes of community and district life circles the base of the tower...a clever variation on the painted theme...

That was it for public art for Day 1...

Happy Stitching...










7 comments:

Lin said...

The silo art is amazing - I love those owls. The mosaics are lovely too. xx

ButterZ said...

It is so much fun and interesting to see these works of art. It really is making a great tourist drive.

Chookyblue...... said...

Love seeing the silo art........

loulee said...

Some beautiful art work, thanks for sharing your journey.

kiwikid said...

You saw much the same as Raewyn and I did, the silos are amazing aren't they.

Janice said...

You certainly had a fun trip north,visiting so many silos and other art installations. The only one of those that we have seen is the mosaic water tower at Coleambally. Did you get to visit the lovely little quilt shop there? I was very surprised to see it.

dq said...

I love the horses and the birds the most!!