Tuesday 1 March 2022

Bowie Bird...

As a distraction from the "Alice" project at one point I rooted around in the box of patterns with bits in them (might be a particular piece of fabric, or a particular thread or the like) to see if there was something that might take my fancy and I came across a forgotten Brenda Ryan embroidery pattern - Sewing Bird No 1 - with its pack of Cottage Garden Threads hand dyed woollen felt...its time had come...the pattern is dated 2013 so who knows how long I've had it...

Introducing...Bowie Bird..

I enjoyed playing with this little project...and it became my take to group for a few weeks as "Alice" wasn't portable being that I had it laid out on the board so I didn't muck up the unit placement (again!)...

Stuffed with pure wool stuffing (I have a very small packet of this stuffing and felt that the pure wool felt deserved pure wool stuffing rather than the polyester toy fill stuff)...Cottage Garden Threads variegated floss.  I especially went and bought the colours given in the pattern (something I almost never do) to complement the felt and the colours in the pattern pictures and the actual colours, definitely not the same...but all the same I'm happy with how it turned out...definitely not going to stick pins into it, will decorate the sewing room.

Why Bowie Bird?*  Take a good look...only one person in the Zoom session got the reference, pretty much immediately too, well done Lou!

Happy Stitching... 

*Bowie Bird because it has two different coloured eyes...one is blue and one is brown...just like David Bowie...quite by accident, variegated thread and it just happened that the first knot was blue and when I pulled the thread through to the other side the section of thread for the second knot was brown...but it tickled me to call it Bowie...

6 comments:

loulee said...

And a lovely looking Bowie bird he is too. :-)

Chookyblue...... said...

this bird is beautiful.......im impressed with the posting....

Janice said...

Bowie Bird is very cute. You did well.

Christine M said...

Your Bowie bird is gorgeous. xx

marina said...

Such a pretty pincushion. I don't stick pins in most of mine lol

Flickenstichlerin said...

Lovely project and wonderful stitching. Love the Bowie eyes.