Wednesday, 22 April 2026

The Final Leg Home - Scrub Stitchin' 2026...Chapter 2

The area where the water tanks are located at the RAAF base in Wagga is at the front of the base where the public access/car park area includes the Heritage Centre and other displays is located.  I didn't go into the Heritage Centre building itself as time didn't permit - I had only expected the water tanks and museum so wasn't prepared timewise for how much there was outdoors...but I spent a good while walking around the outside display...
 
Replica of chapel built by members of 31 Beaufighter Squadron in 1943 at RAAF Base Coomalie Creek near Darwin.  The Squadron was formed at the Wagga Base on 14 August 1942, the only operational squadron to form at the Wagga Base.  It's a lovely little chapel, feels quite peaceful.
The information board tells the story... 
The water tanks, Heritage Centre etc are located on one side of the base entry road and on the other side behind the car park there are a number of aircraft displayed.  I was quite surprised at how interesting I found them...they are planes...boy toys in my head...maybe it's a genetic memory or something as on dad's side the serving members in WW2 (his dad, uncle and auntie-in-law) were RAAF 
(not on overseas deployment and from memory they didn't fly)...
The detail on the information board plinths...perfect!... 
After finding all the painted towers and tanks around Wagga I turned off after Collingullie and headed to The Rock, the intended destination being just out of The Rock. Because it takes a deliberate turn off the highway and over the railway line when travelling from Albury to Wagga, I'd not actually gone into The Rock before, just passed through the part on the highway.  A lovely little town...very neat.  I needed a pit stop so I stopped at the park.  Adding to the theme of the Defence Forces after the RAAF Base...in the park behind the facilities is a Gallipoli panel sculpture...
  
loved how the artist had made it 3D...The rock that towers over The Rock and gives the town its name. I hadn't enough time to go up to the Nature Reserve - on the list for another visit.
 
Only about 10kms now to the next stop...
 
Happy Stitching...

No comments: