Monday 31 December 2018

Stawell Quilters Exhibition Challenge...Circling Parrots

The Stawell Quilters Bienniel Exhibition was held in October and the member's challenge was ܏set - a green batik or, when the Craft Shop ran out of the green and there wasn't more to be sourced, a purple alternative, the theme: circles and a couple of technical parameters. Mmmm...from the fabric my mind went to Gariwerd/The Grampians and that led to birds and circles to looking out windows and the end result doesn't convey any of that - ha ha, an art quilter I am not!... At the last minute (like when my friend was collecting it from me at work to kindly take to the venue the morning of set-up) it needed a name so quickly we came up with "Circling Parrots"
I played about with different things on this small quilt...crayon colouring of the birds then back stitching the outlines which I really enjoyed...hand and machine applique (consistently not flash at the machine applique so that became a design element in itself I decided - yep, artistic licence of the broadest variety, he he he) and a bit of machine quilting because the hand quilting wasn't working so it got frogged...

When I rocked up to the Exhibition on the Saturday I was told to "go look at the Challenges" ... huh? what? ... surely that is a mistake! a blue card pinned on my quilt - third place ... I'm still a bit flummoxed as to why but I'll take it and say thank you ...there it is hanging on the top right hand side...how fabulous are all the little quilts...
It was a fun Challenge...

Happy Stitching...

No comments: