Sunday 8 July 2018

Secret Sewing...

There hasn't been much stitching going on since the Great Eye Drama except for secret stuff - swap quilt for on-line group and secret quilt friendship blocks for local quilting group.  Both the swap and the more complicated time-consuming friendship block were due when I couldn't see properly to sew for more than about 10 minutes a day.  Then a couple of weeks ago a second friendship block with a three week deadline! Fortunately the blocks were simple, machined and the co-ordinator had done all the preparation work giving us cut-to-size patches to just construct the blocks (for which I was mightily grateful).  As of last night all deadline sewing is done...even if the deadlines weren't all met before due dates.

First Friendship Block combined two of my least favourite techniques - machine foundation piecing and crazy patchwork...we were given a bag with material scraps (my bag was blue fabrics) and a piece of paper cut to size for the foundation with notations as to which way was up and how the colour was to flow...mine was blue/aqua down to blue/mauve...the instructions also suggested picking a theme...
My block being blue suggested water and then rain/weather...I did enjoy the decorating once I got into it but I'm still not a fan of the crazy patchwork technique.
 
The second friendship blocks...easy but pretty...I think all the blocks have different centre squares although I've only seen mine and one other set...
I hope the recipients like their quilts when they are presented.

Happy Stitching...

5 comments:

Maria said...

Sounds like you've 'been in the wars' with your eyes Annette 😕
Love your friendship blocks; on the blue block, those embellishments look wonderful.

Fiona said...

It's good your eyes are ok that you can sew a bit now..... I have never done crazy patchwork and I feel the same as you about foundation piecing.... well done
Hugz

Chookyblue...... said...

How the eye problem is all sorted ......

elliek said...

Well done on all the blocks. Love what you did with the crazy... and hope your eyes are back to normal now.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Lovely blocks. Glad your eyes are healing Annette x