Sunday 26 August 2012

Hexie Squared!...

I placed an embargo on posting progress on this quilt until it was up to borders and...it is!!...wahoo!!!!  OK, so it is really a rectangle but Hexie Rectangled just didn't do it for me so I went with squared...
 
There has been much obsessive whip stitching of shapes going on for the last three days...I even sewed for most of the time at the gathering on Friday night...usually I spend most of the night shop browsing (it is held in a shop classroom), eating tea, drinking cuppas, eating chocolate, adding my two cents worth to someone else's decision making - no-one gets to make decisions without everyone else's input, which is often promptly ignored but it is imperative that opinions are given anyway *LOL* - and general lack of actual sewing...but I just had to have the centre done.  As I take the papers out as I go so it is easier to handle the edges are the only paper shapes left in now, which is why the sides look a bit stiff.

The next step is a narrow "frame" (a straight strip down the two sides and half-diamonds at the top and bottom) then two borders.  Karen used the same fabric as the connecting diamonds and triangles for her frame...I'm in two minds about whether to do that or use something a little stronger - that decision can wait until tomorrow.  I would use the same fabric as the flower centre hexies but it was a scrap and there is no more.  The fabrics for this quilt were purchased at Summer School from one of the visiting shops (we had a different one each day and I can't remember which shop was there that day).  I found the fabric for the main border on the sale stand (my favourite way to buy by the metre) and two $5 scrap bags of pink/green and the decision was made, in the space of about 5 minutes!!!...the colours sort of chose themselves as I certainly wasn't looking for anything in particular, or in fact for this quilt!! I actually liked the challenge of only two colours, picking out fabrics that were predominately one or the other...The second border fabric was found in a shop I often go to so I'll put the centre against the border fabrics tomorrow in better light and see what speaks to me about the frame.

Oh and I was asked if the connecting shapes were pink or cream...they are pink, with white dots.

Happy Stitching...

15 comments:

Grit said...

Wunderschön!!!
LG Grit

Kerry said...

W O W . You're almost finished!!!!!!!
You really did get a spurt on with the sewing on Friday night. I'm so jealous.
Well done. You must feel so good.

Grethe said...

Love the look of you hexie-quilt, great seeing the whole. Yes,must be such a good feeling for you:-) The middle and it all looks perfect! Have a nice week a head,Annette+thanks a lot for your comments on my blog just now!

Nicky said...

It's awesome Annette, it looks fantastic..... nearly there.

Christine M said...

It looks fantastic!

Chookyblue...... said...

OMG you stitched instead of talking too much........had trouble with the word veri leaving this comment.....

Shay said...

It looks wonderful. I love those colours and Im not usually a muted type of person. I actually cheered when I got to this point with my own hexie project.

Katherine said...

it looks wonderful and i cant wait to see the borders when they go on. i still have to pull out and attach the borders to my lily and will hexagon quilt but havent quite got there yet as it is a big item and will need to be out for some time. might have to wait a bit longer until all the outside jobs are caught up with lol. cant wait to see how you quilt it too as i am wondering what i am going to do on mine.

marina said...

well done!! You really were concentrating Friday night.
If you need some green or pink scrappies sing out and I can check my stash.

Anonymous said...

oh Annette this quilt is absolutely gorgeous,well done my friend.

Mistea said...

Amazing - all that stitching!
Enjoy the next round.

Fiona said...

It looks fabulous....well done with all that stitchin'...
Hugz

Kris said...

It's so lovely! And I am terribly impressed with you stitching at a gathering. Pretty sure I have never actually managed that so hats off to you!

Manuela said...

It's beautiful.

Best wishes Manuela

Anthea said...

Fantastic Annette! The colours are gorgeous, can't wait to see it all finished!