Friday 5 January 2024

Moda Love Quilt - The Sewing Pouch Edition...

(*yes I'm rather behind in the diary keeping here, oh well you get that sometimes).
Last Year's (2023) Scrub Stitching "if you want to play along" project was the Moda Charm Love Quilt...a free pattern from Moda that has instructions for the various sized pre-cuts - layer cake, charm pack, mini charm pack.  I had a mini charm pack bundled with a fat quarter that I had bought at the Cobar Quilt Shop the year before, just because I liked it, and perfect project for it and being a mini charm pack of 2 1/2" squares achievable by hand (I very rarely take a sewing machine on retreats, just hand work).
 
By hand it "should" have been easier to get it exact than with a machine but for some reason, even using fine Auriful thread and the stitching line being exactly where it should be the squares I sewed by hand were not to size! What the?  By then I was down with he Covids so I didn't really care about much at all.
 
When I got back home I re-stitched the few blocks I'd done - on the same line! - by machine and hey presto perfectly in size! Don't ask...it had me baffled and still does!!! Consequently, the rest of blocks were sewn by machine.

The finished top...
A mini version...now what to do with it?  I really didn't feel much like making a mini quilt then the idea came that it be more useful as a sewing pouch...I conducted a snap poll at my quilting group as to whether to use it for the back or the inside and the consensus was a resounding as the back so it wouldn't get lost when the pouch was filled with bits and bobs...
I had just enough left of the fat quarter that I used for the background fabric (I love that fabric) for the lining/backing whatever that would show through the plastic front of the pouch.  The flowers were just for decoration...
I was still under the influence of the Covids residual effects so, in hindsight, I should have quilted it differently and the binding should have have been hand stitched to the back as for a quilt but hey, it's just for me and it is no less useful for being a bit dodgy in the making.

Happy Stitching...

2 comments:

kiwikid said...

Great idea to make the pouch.

Chookyblue...... said...

that was a great way to use your Moda Love mini..........glad it worked out in the end.......weird how that happens somethings with sizing.......