Monday 17 August 2020

Zoooommmm!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday I had my second-ever Zoom experience and this was one was much more fun than the previous (which was a meeting) as it was a virtual sit and sew in the Chook Shed, organised by Chookyblue of course.

Thanks Chooky for the virtual bloggy meet...it was great to see her "in person" again as it's been ages and I caught up with my friend Jo who I haven't seen for a very long time since we both moved away from where we used to be...not to mention all the other bloggers new and familiar to "meet in person".  A fun relaxing day and I'm very very glad I joined in.

I used it as an opportunity to get some "must do" stitching done for group projects for local quilt group...blocks for two Big Birthday quilts (secret) for which the blocks were provided and just needed to be stitched...and a block for a friendship quilt the recipient knows about, where she nominated a theme "High Tea" and a block size and left the rest up to the individual stitcher.

I started the first Big Birthday block Saturday night, which was blanket stitching applique...I chose to do it by hand as I'm hopeless at the machined variety...I kept on with that Sunday morning listening to the lovely chatter and before I knew it, it was done!...

I then picked up the stitchery for the friendship quilt...it had been languishing for weeks because what was left was the "fiddly bits" and I couldn't decide on floss colours so I'd been studiously avoiding picking it up other than to move it here and there...now was the time...the company of the Zooming ladies meant it was done without fuss...second "must do" finished!...

The design basis is an old Ella & Skysie Designs pattern "Two for Tea".  I added the tablecloth scallops and moved the words about to suit and played with the designs on the teacups - somehow it became a bit hippy dippy but it was fun and that was how it wanted to be so I let if flow...I hope she likes it.

That took care of the handwork and, after everyone signed off Zoom, I looked at the foundation paper pieced blocks, realised they weren't going to take very long at all and fired up P-faff...

Done! All finished, a run over with the iron and packaged up ready to return from whence they came...thanks to the virtual sit & sew...think it is the most productive stitching I've achieved at any sit & sew day (or a weekend retreat for that matter!)...might have had something to do with not flitting about the room checking out what everyone else was doing as it was all there right in front of me without moving and everyone was in on the one conversation...thank you ladies for your company...

Happy Stitching...

4 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

Oh it was wonderful to see you again... It's been awhile..... Like you say it's the most I've ever achieved at a retreat when I'm zoom sewing..... No distractions

dq said...

You did get quite a bit done. I can see why you finished the foundation blocks later and that they would go fast. They are super pretty. I finished binding my quilt as well. I only had about 12 inches left when I signed off.

Christine M said...

I love your little stitchery, Annette. I've done a couple of zoom meetings too. One with family in the US and the other for drinks with the quilting girls on the night we should have been at retreat!

Maria said...

It's such fun to GTG on Zoom .. you got a fair bit done... I only did some hand stitching