Tuesday, 21 April 2026

The Final Leg Home - Scrub Stitchin' 2026...Chapter 1 - Painted Water Tanks & Towers

The last morning of the whole trip dawned and it was time to pack up the car one more time and continue heading south...from Wagga it's only about 4 hours if I drive in a straight line and don't get distracted (yeah, right, as if that is going to happen!) and I had some painted water tanks and towers to hunt...took the time to start the day slowly and make the most of the 10:00am check out (well the second destination wasn't open until 10:00 so no point in rushing!).  The first painted water tower stop was a whole five minute drive from the motel...Willans Hill...
The tanks are owned by the local water board and the theme combines local children and the part water plays in their lives.  Unfortunately, there is a lot of graffiti scribbled on the mural - around the base...such a shame it has been vandalised.
 
The Botanic Gardens are a couple of minutes away from the water tower but I hadn't realised so hadn't factored in time to have a wander.  Location definitely noted for another time.  Then it was a less than 20 minute drive to the next water tank...at the RAAF base...
The RAAF Wagga Aviation Heritage Centre painted water tank...Then. Now. Always. Commissioned to honour the 100 year anniversary of the RAAF and the Riverina contribution to WW2.  Spent way more time there than I expected...but more on that in another chapter.
 
Next up was the Water Tower at Uranquinty...barely out of Wagga, about 25 minutes drive...I'd spent a long time going not very far - ha ha ha.  When I arrived in Uranquinty I stopped at the bakery first and grabbed a sandwich and cake for on the road.  Even though it was a little bit early for lunch by the time I would have another opportunity of a shop it would probably be scrapings if anything was left.  The water tower is in a small reserve in a residential area over the railway line but it's a lovely little park...
Murals dedicated to the part Uranquinty played with the RAAF in WW2...the first and only Aboriginal RAAF fighter pilot, Leonard Victor Waters...the first three Wirraway planes to be flown in for training...and RAAAF women working on a Wirraway.

Onwards next to Collingullie...another short drive, about 15 minutes...looking for painted water tanks...that was a bit trickier as they are actually in laybys on each side of the highway heading back into Wagga from Collingullie, not in Collingullie itself.
Wirajuri artwork on each one...so much detail in those dots!...

I was still barely outside Wagga, indeed if I had been wanting to go back into Wagga I wouldn't have needed to backtrack, just keep the loop going and in less than 20 minutes I'd be back in the centre of town...but it was time to head back to Collingullie and keep going in the direction of home.
 
Happy Stitching... 
 
 

No comments: