Friday 9 December 2016

What A Weekend!...

The stitchy fabulousness the weekend of the mini workshop with the Saturday stitching friends in the last post continued on into the Sunday...a trip to the NGV in Melbourne and fun times with bloggy friends...

That Sunday morning saw me up and at 'em even earlier than leaving the house to go to work...good reason...trekking up to the Big Smoke...right into the very CBD of Melbourne for a special day indeed.  First achievement...driving into the City from West when I have always been a North/North-East girl...a moment of panic with changes to the lanes on the West Gate - seriously VicRoads stop moving the roads on me!...I made it to the chosen car park, whew! thank goodness they haven't moved a building I worked in over 30 years ago!

Very excited I met up with Chooky (yay a Chooky catch-up!) and Carol (nice to met you Carol) at their breakfast spot and off we went to the NGV - not the St Kilda Road location but the Ian Potter Centre at Federation Square, a much shorter walk and straight into the wonderful exhibitionWe collected more bloggy friends in quick time...it was so good to see Elyte again, it had been ages, and to meet Joy and Susan.

We spent about 2 1/2 hours in the exhibition and I am soooo glad I went...a wish fulfilled...I've seen the Rajah Quilt..In. The. Fabric!  Oh my...it is Huge!!!!
 Behind glass of course - can you spot what is missing?
So much to look at...
Imagine stitching in those conditions!

There was so much fabulousness but my photos are not so fabulous....good thing I bought the book!

So glad Chooky came down that weekend, it was the only time I was maybe going to be able to go into the City for the exhibition and it was just the incentive I needed to make it happen...and an opportunity to have a lovely bloggy peeps day out...

Happy Stitching...

 

5 comments:

elliek said...

Glad you got to the exhibition. We saw it a few weeks back and I was gifted the book today for my birthday. So glad I got it and the Rajah quilt is worth seeing in the flesh. Love your trifold cutting mat thingy! I loved doing the workshop with you and I have used mine a few times on my Dear Jane blocks! Are you coming tomorrow? Catch you sometime I hope.

Jo said...

My friend tried getting me the book because I couldn't make it. They are not reprinting it. I am so sad. I really wanted to make it. So happy for anyone that did get there.

Fiona said...

excellent... very brave driving.... that quilt was in Brisbane a few years ago and i was lucky enough to go and see it.... amazing as you say under the conditions they were in...
Hugz

Raewyn said...

Oh wow, what an outing! Lucky you were able to make it work!

Chookyblue...... said...

was so good that you could come in and catch up...........and I checked more and it's not that one is missing it's that they didn't place them so well along that side.........closer together...........so pleased to see the quilts they were amazing.............