Sunday 26 July 2015

SQT 2015 Swap...

Back here I mentioned I joined in a swap...which involved two epic fails and one oh that works...well the group reveal day was 11 July (USA time so really 12 July our time)...oh the loveliness that was revealed on the day...the deal was to post a photo of the quilt you received...but I didn't get to join in...nope, my mail box was resolutely empty...no enticing parcel to open on the day...so all I could do was look from afar...very disappointing as I was excited to play along...

A check of the group database on the morning of the on-line show revealed my partner, P, had filled in that she had received her parcel - whew! Seems the posties could only manage one way!!

This is what I sent to P...
The quilt front
 
The quit back
 
Close up of the fabrics
 
All together now

The photo colours are a bit weird as I had to take the pictures in the flat in various weird lighting options before going to work so I could get the parcel to the Post Office that day to hopefully make its destination in time.  The bottom photo is probably closest to reality.  Entirely machined except for hand stitching down the binding (I know, me, entirely machined!)...I used a variegated green/brown thread to machine quilt in a grid with cream in the bobbin and it worked really well with the fabrics. I forgot to measure it before it left on its journey but I think it was about 16" square.

I found the backing fabric in the haberdashery in the town where I now work and as the colours went well with the fabric I had originally planned to use I thought it was a bit of fun for the quilt to take some Aussie with it to its new home in the USA.  As I would have had to pay for 400g of fresh air I added the little extras to justify having to pay for a 500g parcel when the quilt only weighed 100g...and Australia Post whinges that their service (ha that is a laugh!) isn't being used as it was...ah, people want to use it you are just making it way too expensive and 500g increments is just plain ridiculous!

Yesterday I finally received my parcel...post marked 2 July and carded 23 July...21 days from Maine, USA!!!...seems it took an unauthorised holiday and went via Canada!! The Canadian posties had written "try Australia" in texta under the address label and must have realised just how important it was as there was a Canadian express post sticker on the front - go Candian posties...and it was worth the wait as here was what was inside...
Isn't it lovely...thank you very much P, I love it.

Happy Stitching...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Annette I love both these minis ,they are both awesome,hooray for Canadian pasties,so glad you received it my friend xx

creations.1 said...

Beautiful swap minis Annette - your gift was worth the wait! Another complaint about Aust Post - seems to be a lot of delivery problems over the last couple of months. Pleased it all worked out in the end!!

Fiona said...

lovely little quilts...
Hugz

Michelle Ridgway said...

Definitely worth the wait Annette...lovely. I love your Aussie parcel too....so glad those lovely Canadian posties sussed it out x

marina said...

wow both of your mini quilts are gorgeous!
Well done canada Post, they always get their mail right

Susan said...

Aren't they both so cute! Some of our packages could tell very interesting stories of their travels.

Jo said...

So nice to receive some happy mail.
How was your weekend

Kerry said...

Love your little quilt, perfect choice of backing fabric. Thank goodness someone put your parcel on the correct horse and cart!

Shay said...

Both absolutely gorgeous swap gifts. Im so glad you received yours. It would have been a tragedy if it went permanently missing!

Christine M said...

What a lovely swap Annette. Both minis are gorgeous.

Melody said...

Ebeautiful gifts swapped. So glad your parcel finally arrived, the quilt is too lovely to be lost forever.

Mistea said...

Your packages seem to like the scenic route, they must have inside information!
Lovely quilts exchanged. Enjoy yours.