Tuesday 7 October 2014

Pinwheeling Stars...

...pegged to an apple tree...
...as you do...in the Saga of the Purple Disappearing Pinwheels...

This was a whole lot of fun to make...go here to see the Missouri Star Quilt Company video...while the tutorial uses a layer cake I, of course, ignored that bit and cut my own 10" squares from my chosen three main and one background fabrics. I only used 10" as that was the layer cake size and for the first turn that was close to following the instructions for me.

I'm thinking the fabric I have left will make up a nice scrappy binding. The backing is just plain purple homespun, nothing exciting there, and if there isn't enough of the top fabrics left to make the required length of binding I can put some of that in to stretch it out.  There won't be any bordering going on - not enough fabric left to make it 5 x 5 instead of 4 x 5 let alone for borders and, although I only bought the fabric less than a month ago, the shop is 2kms from a work site that I no longer work at and it is 120kms up the highway one way so no, I'm not going for a quick shop - I'm just living with going with what I have and be done with it.

Now to set up the "big" machine on the kitchen table (the machine is too heavy for the sewing table), suck it up and get it quilted...oh the horror!!!

See you on the other side of what will no doubt be some kind of grand quilting fiasco!

Happy Stitching...

15 comments:

Jo said...

It has come out lovely. Well done. Pretty purples

Maria said...

Your top looks fabulous!

Shay said...

Absolutely beautiful Jindi's Mum. Well worth all the effort . I think taking your time paid off !

Good luck with that quilting- I will be right there with you this week - about to finish a top that begs for some more creative quilting that my usual meandering or straight lines. We can commiserate together if it all goes South.

Christine M said...

Your quilt looks fantastic, Annette.

Susan said...

Great job....I really don't know how it all came together, I would have definitely put something the wrong way. I think the binding is all it needs, not every quilt needs to be framed by a border. I know what you mean about "just up the road". It can be hard to justify a road trip for one piece of fabric (well, to non-quilters anyway).

Maria said...

That is so beautiful!

elliek said...

Wow they really spin don't they. Fantastic quilt and I for one am a big believer in scrappy binding. I have a bag full of those left over bits and they get used. Can't wait to see it quilted. Saturday maybe???

Kerry said...

My goodness, Annette, must say I gasped when I saw the picture. It's gorgeous. Love the spinning. Pretty colours. Must feel good to finish it, now for the quilting- that's an extra added bonus step of course.

marina said...

How fantastic!
your pinwheels look gorgeous.
well done...good luck with the quilting part..

Michelle Ridgway said...

Oh Annette! Amazing! What a stunner. I think that the binding you have planned will be perfect x

Fiona said...

I love it... perfect

Hugz

Mistea said...

It's still a mystery to me!
Love the colours of course, but how do you make all those pretty pinwheels spin like that??
This will be lovely bordered in the scraps.
Enjoy the quilting.

Grethe said...

This is so beautiful, Annette , love the choice of the fabrics! I have checked the Missouri -Ytube, but never sewed anything wine them/her. Might do the JR one, seems so easy for a weekend, or 2 for me :-)

Anthea said...

Love the blocks... Love the purples... Love the pic styling... & I'm sure I'll love how you quilt it, Annette! Love it, well done

Katherine said...

This is looking fantastic Annette. WHo says we always have to follow the rules anyway lol.