Sunday 28 April 2013

One Day...Two Finishes...

Yes you read that right...in one day two finishes...and both before lunch!...don't worry I've not suffering from some kind of malaise, it's been all downhill from there so normalacy has resumed...

First up...
Toy Tales Disappearing Nine Patch baby quilt... 
(quilt is sideways, it was a space to take the photo issue)

I was given the fortunate opportunity in March to attend Urban Stitches in MelbourneMy darling friend J was unable to go and not wanting to waste her ticket kindly offered it to me...I was blown away by her generosity and gladly took up her offer...and I got to play with Rosie for the day too...such fun!  We had a lovely day, Rosie came across and I drove down to the venue in one of the Waverleys (I can never remember whether I'm in Mount Waverley or Glen Waverley), where we stitched, chatted, ate and shopped in multiple combinations of said activities, over-stayed our welcome by an extra hour chatting to a lovely lady, Jill, on our table who was making a whole weekend of it by staying at the hotel venue and going to both days, stopping at the pub in the next town before home for tea and chats with quilting friends, one who just happened to be there for tea and one who works there...a fabulous social stitchy day...thank you so much J...anyhow, friends have a boy version grandbubby due to make his debut next month and I had in mind blue and red for a quilt for him. Under the Mulberry Tree was, of course, the shop on the day and Melly's Toy Tales fabric was perfect...I picked out nine fat quarters, washed and ironed them the next day and the following weekend turned them into the quilt top.  I toyed with the idea of putting a scrappy border around but although it isn't huge, at about 37" x 48", it is big enough for the purpose intended - rolling about on the floor or in the pram/pusher. I knew I wanted the red clouds fabric for the backing and mail ordered the backing fabric from Under the Mulberry Tree once the top was made and I knew just how much I'd need...Great service, I put the order up on Monday afternoon and it arrived in my mail box Wednesday with very reasonable postage...simply echo quilted along the long seams with blue on the top and red underneath with a scrappy binding made from all the fabrics except red clouds...I hope the new mum (who I don't know, I only know the dad) likes it...

A couple of weeks ago I upgraded to a new phone...it's one of those smart phone flat screen jobs and I've lived in terror of the screen being damaged in my handbag ever since...I never took the sticky plastic filmy thing off the screen of my old phone so it didn't get all scratched up but this phone didn't have that...so...
pyjamas for the phone...

The ladies at Monday craft group have been making these using QAYG hexies for the iPads/tablets - I shamelessly stole their idea and downsized it...the bird fabric is a Tilda (I didn't realise that at the time) I picked up from one of the shops who visited Summer School and the aqua I found in the stash box, goes together nicely I think.  I also have the bird fabric in blue...I just love it...

Happy Stitching...

14 comments:

Kerry said...

Love your phone cover, very stylish. Your baby quilt is perfect, lovely fabric with a pattern that allows the fabric to shine through. What a great weekend you've had.

Kris said...

Glen Waverley. The suburb next to mine! Lovely finishes. I am quite in awe.

marina said...

lucky you going to Urban stitches!
love your phone case too.
well done on your finishes.
what's next on the agenda?

Michelle Ridgway said...

Great finishes... very cute baby quilt.

Melody said...

Fabulous finishes

Anonymous said...

both lovely finishes Annette and wow how much fun to attend urban stitches and also to play with Rosie what a fabulous day you had.xx

Christine M said...

Two great finishes Annette. Your phone cover is very different!

Shay said...

Fabulous finishes. If you have any mojo to spare can you send some down my way. I seem to have completely lost mine!

Fiona said...

How much coffee did you have in the morning?????
lovely quilt and I love the little phone jimjams... will have to make one too since my family also persuaded me I need a smart phone... it's a bugger having an accessory that is smarter than me!!
Hugz

Mistea said...

Loving that quilt, lovely and brighgt for the new addition.
Pretty phone pj's. The birds are very sweet. Hope your ring tone is tweety.

Sisbabestitches said...

Gawjus pj's! Brilliant idea, no shame in flagrantly swiping great ideas ;) Cute cot-rollaround-pram quilt! What a thrill to get to Urban Stitches, green with envy-ness :)

Katherine said...

Busy, busy, busy. Sounds like you had a wonderful time and I love the phone cover and the quilt.

Anthea said...

Great finishes there Annette - I love "pyjamas" for the phone - for most phones (if not all newer ones) these days, you can get adhesive screen thingo's so you don't get scratches...

Grethe said...

2 finishes before lunch! Great, love the baby quilt,nice colours and what a perfect phone-cover:-)